Project Design Manager - Civil Engineer
The Project Design Manager – Civil Engineer is responsible for the support and execution of civil designs from existing conditions to final site plan and PV module placement on all North American commercial and utility scale solar projects. Projects range in size from 5 MW to 10’s of MW utility scale. The role involves the production and management of preliminary and bid level design packages within a team of in-house and outside engineers. It includes prioritizing and resourcing projects of varying sizes and scales, working within a team environment and representing the Engineering team to all internal and external customers. The candidate is expected to have a wide range of experience, varying from building industry and Code-based knowledge applied Utility Scale PV Land Development. Qualified candidates will have strong problem solving skills, being able to apply professional concepts and company objectives to resolve complex issues and unexpected engineering barriers. Candidates will have strong design, communication, and creative problem solving skills.
Reports to: VP of Engineering
Location: San Ramon, CA
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- Responsible for the oversight of project civil design drawings complete with supporting calculations, proposed grading, SWPPP measures, site plans, equipment layouts and foundation designs
- Responsible for working within the Phoenix Solar team as well as other engineering disciplines to manage workload and project pipeline to meet project development needs, including: site audits, identification of design optimization opportunities and constraints, preparation of proposal and project specification documents, evaluation and recommendation of major site and component foundation details.
- Manage design consultants to meet project workload
- Interaction with AHJ’s to become familiar with specific local and industry codes to develop PV solar plants
- Interaction with Phoenix Solar customers, representing Phoenix Solar as a subject matter expert in civil engineering design
- Interaction with contractors on construction projects to answer questions, review change requests, revise designs as needed to accommodate unanticipated field conditions, etc.
- Interaction with field inspectors and plan checkers to evaluate proposed design methodology, with thorough Code knowledge and application.
Qualifications for the position
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering, a PE in Civil Engineering or equivalent demonstrated industry experience with an emphasis in land development.
- Certification/Training: EIT/FE , PE license, Demonstrable Industry Experience
- Minimum 5 years' experience
- PV Industry Design Experience or in related land development Design a must.
- Proficiency required in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND TRAVEL
- Up to 20% domestic travel can be expected
OTHER SKILLS AND STYLE CRITICAL TO SUCCESS
- Thorough knowledge of the IBC, Grading, Drainage, Survey methods, and simple Concrete Pad and Post foundation design as it relates to PV systems design or related industry design
- Knowledge of PV System Layout and Site Design
- Knowledge of civil site design, materials and methods of land development
- Experience in taking plans through permitting agencies, passing Independent Engineer Reviews, and translating paper plan to construction site activities.
- Knowledge of hydro systems analysis software
- Knowledge foundations design software
- Ability to read and understand Geotechnical reports as it affects, grading, compaction and foundations.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD and generating detailed construction drawings
- Ability to coordinate and work within a team to meet project deadlines
- Highly organized and capable of working across multiple projects
- Good communication skills