Project Design Manager - Electrical Engineer
The Project Design Manager – Electrical Engineer is responsible for the support and execution of electrical designs from PV modules to utility point of interconnection on all North American commercial and utility scale solar projects. Projects range in size from 5 MW to 10’s of MW utility scale. The role involves the production and management of preliminary and bid level design packages within a team of in-house and outside engineers. It includes prioritizing and resourcing projects of varying sizes and scales, working within a team environment and representing the Engineering team to all internal and external customers. The candidate is expected to have a wide range of experience, varying from building industry and Code-based knowledge, to applied electrical engineering in DC and AC distribution. Qualified candidates will have strong problem solving skills, being able to apply professional concepts and company objectives to resolve complex issues and unexpected engineering barriers. Candidates will have strong design, communication, and creative problem solving skills.
Reports to: VP of Engineering
Location: San Ramon, CA
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- Responsible for the oversight of project electrical design drawings complete with supporting calculations, single line schematics, DC wiring schematics, electrical site plans, and equipment layouts.
- Responsible for working within the Phoenix Solar team as well as other engineering disciplines to manage workload and project pipeline to meet project development needs, including: site audits, identification of electrical design opportunities and constraints, preparation of proposal and project specification documents, evaluation and recommendation of major electrical components.
- Manage design consultants to meet project workload.
- Interaction with electric utilities to become familiar with specific local and industry codes to interconnect PV solar plants to the national grids.
- Interaction with Phoenix Solar customers, representing Phoenix Solar as a subject matter expert in electrical engineering design.
- Interaction with existing and prospective vendors of major equipment, such as inverters, transformers, switchgear, electrical cable, etc. and evaluation of new commercial and utility PV industry products, including inverters and combiner boxes.
- Interaction with electrical contractors on construction projects to answer questions, review change requests, revise designs as needed to accommodate unanticipated field conditions, etc.
- Interaction with field inspectors and plan checkers to evaluate proposed design methodology, with thorough Code knowledge and application.
Qualifications for the position
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering
- PE in Electrical Engineering or equivalent demonstrated industry experience with an emphasis in power systems
- Minimum 5 years' experience in Power Systems Design
- PV Industry Design Experience or Medium and High Voltage protection systems design a must.
- EIT/FE, PE license, Demonstrable Industry Experience
- Thorough knowledge of the NEC as it relates to commercial and industrial power systems design
- Knowledge of NEC Article 690
- Knowledge of electrical design, materials and methods of installation in power systems
- Knowledge of distribution and/or transmission design
- Proficient in power systems analysis software
- Proficiency with AutoCAD and generating detailed construction drawings
- Proficiency required in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND TRAVEL
- Up to 20% domestic travel can be expected